Tuesday, May 29, 2001

Choke

I got a hold of Chuck Palahniuk's Choke. The book isn't as good as I thought it would be. I think I'd rather read Fight Club. I guess I was expecting more poetry in the fiction. The book reads very quickly, and the characters are drab. The topics seem recycled from Fight Club, at least from the movie. The main character's mother is an anarchist, there are scenes of her doing some of the same things Tyler Durden trained his Project Mayhem group to do. Victor Mancini is a sex addict who attends a support group for other sex addicts, so that he can regularly get laid. He works in a dead end job in Colonial Dunsboro, where it's always 1734. His life seems stuck in the same rut. His mother suffers from Alzheimer's, and every time he goes to see her, he's a different person. An then there's the Jesus thing. I won't get into that yet. So far I just want to finish it so I can move on to Time Travel in Einstein's Universe, by J. Richard Gott, or A Confederacy of Dunces. Here's a review I agree with.

No comments:

Post a Comment